Mountain Medicine Hui
POSTPONED TILL FURTHER NOTICE ....
22-24th May 2020
Mount Cook Village
The New Zealand Society for Mountain Medicine is delighted to announce its inaugural Mountain Medicine Hui.
A weekend of Mountain and Wilderness medicine learning and sharing at Mount Cook Village, run by doctors and paramedics from NZSFMM. Featuring talks, practical demonstrations and simulated ‘accidents’ where participants can practice what they know or have learned, facilitating the learning and sharing of ideas.
Open to climbers, trampers, outdoor professionals, and those working in all flavours of healthcare. Basically, anyone with an interest of first aid in the outdoor arena.
Events runs from lunchtime Friday 22nd to lunchtime Sunday 24th May 2020. Cert of attendance provided and CPD points for your governing body on request. Ridesharing is encouraged.
Weekend includes evening meals x 2; all lectures, practical demos, and simulated scenarios around Mt Cook Village. Plus open discussion on where outdoor first aid is at in New Zealand on Saturday evening.
Cost $120. Places limited: 24
T0 make payment please deposit $120 into bank account 03-0498-0788279-003
or pay by credit card below
Apply to attend this event
Friday pm schedule
- 14:00 Intros
- 14:30 Recognition of illness / Primary survey / practice
- 16:00 Break
- 16:30 First aid kit - show and tell
- 18:00 Evening meal / social time
- 09:00 Splinting / packaging / wraps
- 11:00 Break / Early lunch
- 12:00 Simulation, x 4 ‘events’
- 18:00 Evening meal
- 19:00 "Life after PHEC ..." Invited panel discussion on the future of outdoor first aid in New Zealand.
- 09:00 Comms / handover / calling for help
- 10:30 Break
- 11:00 Psychological First Aid in the Outdoors
- 12:30 Close / Feedback / What do you want next year?
—> All events at, or around Mt Cook Village Hall
- Tea / coffee / cordial / biscuits provided
- Participants to provide own breakfast and lunch
- Friday and Sat evening meal catered (Please indicate preferences when booking)
- You may bring your own alcohol if desired
Arrange own accommodation. Opinions include NZAC Unwin (often booked long in advance - book early), Mt Cook Youth Hostel, Hermitage Hotel, Mt Cook lodge and motel, Aoraki court motel. NZAC Unwin (Download list)
Travel / Transport
- Aoraki / Mt Cook Village is in the heart of Mackenzie country, South Canterbury. Its approximately 4hrs drive from Christchurch and 3hrs drive from Queenstown.
- Daily buses run from Christchurch and Queenstown stopping at Twizel and Mt Cook Village (check seasonal timetables)
Car pooling / Sharing to be encouraged nearer time of event
To bring / prior learning
- Outdoor clothing for any weather and day rucksack to hold personal stuff
- Own first aid kit, if you have one (not essential)